If you’re a Grand Rapids homeowner, you’re familiar with the unpredictable snow, wind, and rain West Michigan is prone to. Cities such as Forest Hills, Rockford, and Ada experience their fair share of storms throughout the year.
Though hard on your snowblower, these weather patterns can also wreak havoc on your home’s roof. And more than just how your roof looks, different factors can also influence your roof’s safety over time. As your home’s first line of defense against pests, moisture, and West Michigan’s weather, it’s vital your roof is structurally sound.
So, what happens when your roof is on its last leg? Typically, this means a full roof replacement is needed. With many roofing companies in the greater Grand Rapids area, you’ll want to find one ready for the job. To get the most out of your investment, it’s best to partner with a team that uses the highest-quality materials and impeccable installation practices.
If you’re a Grand Rapids homeowner who’s new to the roof replacement process, we’re here to help. Take a look at our full breakdown below, and send us a message to receive your free estimate today.
Signs your roof needs replacing
Before you take the plunge into a complete roof replacement, you’ll want to ensure your roof actually needs replacing. The best Grand Rapids roofing companies can inspect your roof, providing you with honest recommendations about what your roof needs – not what’s going to put more money in their pocket.
Sometimes, your roof will naturally reach the end of its lifespan, even without any significant damage due to pests, weather patterns, etc. However, if you delay your roof replacement, you could be dealing with more significant problems down the road. That’s why it’s essential to understand if you should replace your roof and to act quickly if the answer is yes.
Here are a few signs your roof needs replacing:
- Your shingles are damaged. If you see signs of shingles curling, buckling, missing, or appearing warped, there’s a good chance you need a roof replacement.
- There are sagging spots. Should your roof be drooping or sagging, it’s best to call a Grand Rapids roofing company for an inspection. This is a sign that your roof structure has weakened and can threaten your overall safety.
- You can see sunlight. The attic is a great place to check for roof damage. If you can see daylight coming through any part of your roof, that’s an indicator that your roof is no longer safe.
- Your roof is leaking. Any moisture spots or water coming inside from your roof is a sign of significant damage.
There’s moss or algae growth. This spells trouble for a Grand Rapids homeowner’s roof. Moss and mold can indicate trapped moisture secretly ruining your home.
- It’s old. Different roofing materials have different lifespans. If yours is past its expectancy, it’s a sign your roof needs replacing. When we inspect your roof, we’ll determine the material used and whether or not your home is due for a total replacement.
Benefits of a new roof
Now, you understand if your roof needs replacing. But what are the benefits? If you’re feeling obligated to get a new roof or like the process will be a chore, we understand. At Jobson Roofing, we make your roof replacement as easy and stress-free as possible, so you can reap the benefits of a new roof without adding more to your busy schedule. Here are the benefits of a full roof replacement:
- Protect your home. A new roof will keep you and your loved ones safe for years to come. This means protection against West Michigan snow, ice, wind, hail, rain, and other harsh weather.
- Keep out pests. The last thing you want is to hop into bed, only to find a handful of creepy crawlies inside. That’s where a new roof comes into play. When properly installed, your roof can keep out insects and other critters such as rats, mice, and squirrels.
- Improve energy efficiency. It’s not uncommon for Grand Rapids homeowners to experience a reduction in the costs of their energy bills after installing a new roof. Innovations in shingles and roofing materials help limit heat from the sun and provide better installation. As a result, you’ll pay less to run the AC in the summer and heat throughout our cold West Michigan winters.
- Boost curb appeal. A new roof improves not only the structure of your home but also the look. Older, curling shingles can make your Grand Rapids home look old and outdated, whereas a new roof brings your exterior together. Think of it as your home’s facelift!
- Increase resale value. Should you ever sell your home, a new roof will also help boost its resale value. Grand Rapids homeowners are hesitant to buy a home with a roof that’s on its way out, so a new roof will assure them that they’re safe for the near future.
- Prevent leaks. Older roofs don’t always keep water away from your house, and when moisture creeps in, it can build up over time. This leads to mold and mildew, causing a slew of health problems for all who set foot inside your home. A new roof will ensure this moisture stays out.
- Gain peace of mind. When you work with a trusted, experienced roofing company, you can rest easy knowing your home is built to last. You’ll want to choose someone who will do the job right – the first time.
DIY vs. professional roof replacement
When it comes to costly home projects, you may be wondering if replacing your roof is something you can handle on your own. Unfortunately, though you may cut back on a few costs here and there, DIYing your roof replacement is a risky, dangerous job, should you not be a professional roofer yourself. Here’s why it’s best for Grand Rapids homeowners to opt for a professional roof replacement:
- Safety. Putting yourself, your home, and your loved ones at risk is the main reason one should never replace their own roof. Professionals are experienced in spending time on roofs, bringing along the safety equipment they need to do the job without any mishaps. Without these additional measures, replacing your roof solo can be a hazardous project.
- Technical expertise. It takes more than a bit of research on Pinterest to replace a roof. Laying shingles alone requires a vast amount of technical know-how, with intricate details that can make or break the safety and longevity of your roof.
- Quality, efficient work. A team of professionals can replace your roof in a way that’s quicker and more efficient than if you were trying to attempt the job yourself. Plus, the best roofing companies offer quality guarantees, so you can rest easy knowing your investment is protected.
- Property damage. Even the smallest of mistakes when replacing your roof can result in damages that will empty your pockets to fix. Professional roofers know the exact moves to make to avoid any damage made to your property.
Overall, it’s best to opt for an experienced roofing company when looking to replace your home’s roof.
What to look for in a roofing company
Though opting for a professional roof replacement is always the way to go, it’s important to do your research on finding the right Grand Rapids roofing company. Different roofers bring different levels of experience, and the safety of your home is certainly not something to settle for. Here’s what you should look for in a roofing company.
First-rate roofing companies offer free estimates and understand the importance of pricing for each homeowner. Avoid working with roofing companies that nickel and dime you and who remain closed off about their pricing.
As a Grand Rapids homeowner, when your roof needs a replacement, the last thing you want to worry about is having to pay someone to tell you how much it’ll cost. So save your money and put it toward the actual roof replacement – not a quote! A trustworthy roofing company will offer a free estimate and help you determine your budget and insurance details before moving forward.
Grand Rapids homeowners should focus on finding a roofing company that knows what they’re doing – and is prepared for any question sent their way. If you’re wondering how the roofing process works, the best companies will lay it all out for you in a way that’s easy to understand. They’ll provide detailed responses regarding prices, materials, and installation.
Reviews and testimonials
It’s wise to look through reviews when searching for the right roofing company – and not just reviews on their website. Look at platforms such as Google, as companies aren’t able to adjust customer responses to their liking. You’ll get an unbiased overview of each company and the experience they offer each of their clients.
If you’d like to take it one step further, talk to your potential roofer about any case studies or work examples they have on deck. They can send you photos and a breakdown of timelines, materials used, and more. You’ll get an inside look into their process and the final result they deliver.
When working on something as important as your home, you must find a roofing company that’s transparent and honest. From pricing to timing to experience, dependable roofing companies will never make you feel like they’re hiding something. If your roofing company avoids sending you necessary paperwork, never gives you a straight answer regarding costs, or simply ignores your messages, it’s best to find a different partner.
One of the most important aspects to cover before signing on any dotted lines is your roofer’s warranty. Are you covered should your material fail? Talk to your Grand Rapids roofing company about their policy should you encounter any issues with your roof in the future.
A workmanship warranty is something to look for as well. This way, if you have any installation issues down the line, the roofing company will cover your costs. Workmanship warranties also prove that the company takes pride in its work and is confident your roof will be correctly installed.
Proper licenses and insurance
Before investing in a new roof for your Grand Rapids home, you’ll need to talk to your roofing company about their licenses and insurance. They should be adequately certified and have the insurance required to protect their workers. The right partner will share these requirements with confidence, as they’ve made it a priority to ensure their business checks every box.
Questions to ask your roofing company
Before you move forward with your Grand Rapids roofing company, you must ask them these important questions. This way, you’ll gain clarity surrounding their process and know they have the experience needed to do the job right. Here’s what to ask:
- What will the cost of my roof replacement be?
- Will my homeowner’s insurance cover any of these costs?
- Do you have references and reviews I can read?
- How will you protect your workers on my property? Do you have the right insurance and licenses?
- What does the timeline look like for this project?
- Who do I contact for questions or updates?
- How will you remove my current roof? Will there be a dumpster on site for materials?
- What is your workmanship warranty?
- How will you protect my property from any damage?
- How are payments handled?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you’ll have the confidence to move forward with your roof replacement.
How much a roof replacement costs
If you’re new to roof replacements, one question may be at the forefront of your mind: How much will this cost?
Unfortunately, there’s no copy and paste answer for this question – though we’d share it with you if it existed! There are a variety of things that influence the cost of your roof replacement, like:
- The size of your roof
- The type of material needed
- The removal of existing materials
- Repairs to the ventilation
- Work on components such as gutters or skylights
At Jobson Roofing, we know you want the best for your home (and your budget). It’s why we provide free estimates for those wondering how much a new roof will impact their finances. So request yours today and allow us to answer your questions when it comes to your roof replacement.
Choosing the right roof materials
The roofing material you choose will impact your roof’s look and longevity. There are a handful of options when it comes to the style of your roof:
- Asphalt shingles. Easy to install, these shingles are the most common residential roofing material in the U.S. At Jobson Roofing, we exclusively install top-quality asphalt shingles that protect our client’s homes affordably and efficiently.
- Clay and concrete tiles. Extremely durable and heavy, these tiles add texture and are best for roofs in warmer climates.
- Metal. Highly resistant to weather, metal roofs are durable but can come with a higher price tag.
- Slate. Often expensive, slate offers an elegant look to your roof while remaining durable and fire-resistant.
- Wood shingles. A go-to choice for hundreds of years, wood shingles are aesthetically pleasing but not recommended in areas where fires are prominent.
Before moving forward, you’ll want to talk to your Grand Rapids roofing company about which material is best for you. An experienced roofer can offer guidance and advise you on the material that won’t break your budget but will still meet your home goals. Always ask your roofer these questions regarding material:
- What look do I want my new roof to have?
- What roofing material won’t break my budget?
- How long do I want my new roof to last?
Your roofer can narrow down your materials based on the answers to these critical questions.
Maintaining your new roof
Though all roofs will need replacing eventually, there are a handful of things you can do to ensure yours has a longer lifespan. Here’s what you can do to extend the life of your roof:
- Check your shingles each quarter. High temperatures and West Michigan winter storms can lead to cracked or broken shingles, so you must check in on your roof to monitor any damage that may have occurred.
- Watch for branches. If tree branches surround your roof, give them a trim before winter. Heavy snow and ice can blow branches onto your roof, leading to damage that you could have avoided entirely.
- Take care of your gutters. When water can’t flow through your gutters, you might experience various problems, including rotting wood and internal leaks. Clean your gutters heading into spring and fall, so you can adequately maintain your Grand Rapids home.
- Clear out moss. Though it may add a textural element to your roof, moss can actually damage your singles, lifting them away from the roof. This leaves your home exposed to water and other natural elements. If you notice moss on your roof, call a roofing company to remove it.
- Rake off snow. Grand Rapids homeowners are familiar with the large amount of snow we receive each winter, but too much can actually put your home at risk of a roof collapse. Use a snow rake to remove what you can after each storm.
Look for leaks. Your attic and ceilings can indicate whether or not your roof is leaking – a sign a repair or full replacement is needed. If you see any indication of water damage, call a roofing company to take a look.
- Get a full inspection. A professional roofer will be able to analyze your roof and let you know if it’s in good shape or if it needs fixing.
Think it might be time to replace your roof? We understand the process may seem daunting. However, we’re here to help. Fill out this form to get your free estimate and chat with one of our Grand Rapids roofing professionals today!